Sunday, August 24, 2008

I choose movies


Picture House, August 2008


Just what you need, August 2008


In-between, August 2008

If I had to choose between books and movies, it would be painful, but I would have to pick movies. I see a couple every month. Before kids, my dear wife and I used to see a one or two per week. Before I found my little French lovely (that's my wife), I would see three or four every week. I lived a half-block away from the Princess Theatre in Edmonton.

I know someone who can't go to the movies. The large screen is disorienting and sick-inducing. I would consider it over-the-top suffering if I were ever to contract an inner ear disease that left me permanently motion-sick and out of the movie house. All the Bourne movies made me want to barf in my popcorn bag, but I breathed deep, took Gravol, and made it through. Good movies, but I have to watch them on the the small screen now. (I'm a big fan of tripods.)

Today, I began my 44th year in this realm. I celebrated by riding my motorcycle into Edmonton and watching Vicky Cristina Barcelona. No kids, dear wife at home, just me, my popcorn, and the romantic world of Barcelona. I felt like all of the characters had a bit of me in them. Vicky: solid and material, yet moved and confused by "what if." Cristina: wanting to say something with her art, but not sure how and perpetually haunted by the demon of dissatisfaction. Juan Antonio: brave enough to ask for what he wants in life, loving its beauty, and living it today. (Javier Bardem acted his character with the spirit Pablo Picasso. Perfect.) And Penelope Cruz's, Maria Elena. Oh my. Actually, I don't see much of myself in her, but damn, she's radioactive with charisma. You'd need a lead suit not to be moved by her flaming presence.

Great movie. See it if you can. It won't be in theaters for long.

--

Photos: Still posting shots from Waterton. The theatre picutred above is owned and operated by a man and woman (husband and wife?) who live in the apartment above the lobby. They drive a vintage Saab and appear to be living their dreams. Mine too. Except for the Saab.

-----

5 comments:

Captain Steve said...

My dream homes were always a library or a movie theatre. I always envied the kids who worked at the movie theatres and got free movies. Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Michael! I'm glad you were able to celebrate with a great movie. Other people I know who saw it were surprised by the effect the themes in it had on them - sounds kind of powerful.

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

films hit you instantly, but i think a good book digs in deeper to your mind. Cinema is so expensive now that i only go for the odd film that i know will be better on the big screen and the ODD films that no one else will ever show! Classic examples include Dancer In The Dark, The Motorcycle Diaries, Control and (not seen, but wanted to) Man On A Wire - films that don't make it to the multiplexes but are infinately more satisfying. I think that's where the joy of cinema is now - in discovering something great that has passes the masses.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, my man! I'll be 40 soon . . . was that tough? I'm NOT looking forward to it . . .

We have one independent movie house where I live and they occasionally bring movies like this one to town. I'll keep an eye on the marquee . . .

And Bourne?! The last one gave me a headache. The good kind . . .

michael.offworld said...

Captain, how about a library in a movie theatre?

Thanks Ginny

DFTP, I love odd films too, but few come to my town. All films look better big, yes? (I'd like to visit you in a pub some day and debate the merits of the "movie" compared to the film. Or both compared to a book. That would be great fun.)

Brian, Oh, 40. It is bad. You don't want to go there . . . Just pretend you're 37 and you'll be fine.