
The big tree in front of my house, September 2008
Have you ever felt like you were on the threshold of something amazing in your life? Me neither. Until today.
I don't know how to describe it. Many small clues throughout the day and then it crossed into the foreground of my awareness. The smells of a Thanksgiving dinner, building slowly over the day, making my stomach gurgle in anticipation, my mind to drift to Thanksgivings past, and then culminating in a banquet for all my senses, and all the people I care about, close by to share it with.
Something big is going to happen. I can feel it. It's nearly 2:00 a.m. and I'm energized like I've just written a 3-hour exam and I know I aced it. Like I've tapped into a secret -- The secret -- that will lead me to Eldorado that mythical and figurative golden city that so many search for and so few ever find.
What will I do with this vibe, this handful of jewels I never knew I had? I'm going to start a book. I've had the general idea for a while, but I never had a start, I never believed I could do it. Tonight, I sketched out my first chapter. I have a beginning.
-----
4 comments:
Sweeeeet.
It's odd - because in the UK we have so little knowledge of exactly what Thanksgiving is...
Eldorado was a rubbish soap opera in the UK, but joking aside i wish you luck, but most of all fun, on your journey through your novel :)
Dude,
That is awesome! I, however, am always wary of inspiration that hits at 2am. If I had nickel for every time I thought, "I know I can quit smoking" in the wee hours, and had all the determination that comes with said revelation, only to have it vanish like a fart in the wind come sunup . . . well, I wouldn't have to work in a factory to bring home the bacon.
In the end, it took daylight stubbornness and constant vigilance . . . and a few little pills.
But you are different. I know it. I've seen it. And I agree . . . big things are around the bend. I wish you the best as you flesh out your book. And pass along anything you want an opinion on. It would be an honor to read your work.
BTW, not sure if you noticed, but your post went up on my blog today. Very appropriate and timely, my friend.
I'm passing this on while at school, using their computer, so time is short. Just wanted to give you a heads up.
Later, friend.
B
Wow, that's huge. Congratulations on the beginning.
Post a Comment