
An offering of dreams, February 2009
Instead of noting things that I am grateful for in my life, I am going to start expressng gratitude for what I wish to happen in my life. As if it were already present. Not so much this: "I'm grateful for batteries so I can use my electric toothbrush." More like this: "I'm grateful for my job that lets me travel to Asia four times a year." Or "I'm grateful for my energy self-sufficient home in the country from where I can write my next best-selling book." Or "I'm grateful for waking up day after day without a single ounce of fear."
I read in a psych journal that if a person were to express gratitude for five things once per week, then he (or she) would be 43% happier than the person who didn't (don't quote me on the exact number or ask me to find my reference). Seemed like good odds so I gave it a go. Lasted five weeks before I wrote down how happy I was to have an electric toothbrush. This made me pause and wonder if I wasn't just brainstorming a list of cool stuff. Not a bad thing, really, but it also seems like an inventory of things to cling to. That sounds cynical, maybe it is, but for me, I worked through the important stuff, the people that really matter to me, the Buddha, the sunlight, in the first few weeks. After that I was just thankful for my reliable car, my house, my stuff ... things that I could live without if I had to.
I'm going to try giving voice to my dreams for a while. Time will tell if that kind of longing is just another form of grasping. I'm told that this will help me align myself with the universe, make those dreams come true.
What are your dreams, honest reader? Feel like sharing them?
-----
7 comments:
My husband and I were discussing this topic last night. I don't think the list needs to change weekly or daily. I think giving voice to your dreams is a wonderful and healthy thing, as long as a person doesn't become obsessive.
I'm in the process of defining my dreams so that I can give them an accurate voice. My voice might ramble and babble right now. Getting closer... to sifting through and identifying the important stuff.
There's an old saying: "count your blessings". I don't see that being thankful for things means you're necessarily grasping them or are being attached to them too much if it stops you taking them for granted.
One of my dreams is to "wake up without an ounce of fear". I'd like to hear how that's achieved.
I love this waking up without an ounce of fear. You're a brave soul.
I'm currently grateful that my heat is back on.
Love the picture.
My dream would be to be able to help many more people (and dogs) than I currently am - and that there's one person that can help me when need be.
Difficult, but achievable!
Electric toothbrushes - what's not to like?
I think the dream is to do something that when i look back on my life i can feel accomplishment for, to know that i was more than just another number
Chris, I agree. True gratitude wants to give.
Argent, I'll let you know if I ever find a way. Part of the secret is to love ourselves without condition.
Thanks Emma.
Captain, heat is good.
Pete, Achievable. Yes. That's the spirit!
DFTP, I bet if you ask around that dream has already been achieved.
Post a Comment