Sunday, March 14, 2010

Goodbye, old friend

You sat on your pink bed and looked around, still curious and sensing much more than I ever could. I had you up off the cold stainless steel, but there was nothing to do about the tang of disinfectant and the echoes of old cries. I pulled the chair over so I could look into your eyes. You looked at me the way a cat does, but longer and with love. I felt your affection. You gave me one of your wet nose kisses, nudging me under my chin and then you slouched a little, your balance and strength giving way. The anesthesia was starting to work through your slowing blood and you were probably feeling sick, so I helped you lay down. I rotated you onto your side and arranged your paws like a sphinx tired sitting up, always watching and waiting. I whispered into the narrow room, into your retreating ears, through my cracking voice, "I'm sorry buddy, it's OK, you can sleep now, it's OK."

Then your pupils dilated as if you were trying to see something in the blackest of nights, as if you were straining to see what couldn't be seen. Your eyes opened to a midnight pond, motionless in the dark with glimmers of starlight marking the surface. The purest of water. Only hydrogen and oxygen. Elements as ancient as the universe. Water that was empty of everything else.

When the doctor came back, I was holding your head in my palm. Your lips hung loosely and your eyes no longer saw me. I kept whispering in case you were still hearing me. The last injection found your dieing kidney and worked it's dark power in the silence. Your last breath was imperceptible. It simply slowed and softened until I could no longer see it under your soft orange coat. A drop of rain into that silent pool. Ripples for a moment catching the starlight, then gone.

--

Fred found me mid-January 16 years ago. I pulled into my parking stall and there he was in the glare of my yellow headlights. Waiting for me. I'm sure it was in the minus 30's that night. Too cold for anyone to be outside, so I took him home. I carted him off to the SPCA the next day in case someone was looking for him, but no one came. A few days later he came home to stay.

Spring was calling the day he passed. It's been poking around for a few weeks now. Newborn eternal sunlight fills the dark corners. It's time to brush out the dust and open some windows. Scruffy brown calves scamper and cavort in the fields. Jackets are undone and hats are left in pockets. I can't help but smile in relief when I walk outside and breath the air of promise.


May you always have a yard to watch over.


And children to keep you on your toes.


Thank you for always having something to purr about.


May you always have joy.


And a chair to watch from.


And a friend when you need one.


May you always have sunlight.


Goodbye, old friend.

-----

14 comments:

PurestGreen said...

Oh this made me sad. Poor dear one. How beautiful he was. I'm so sorry for you that he is gone, but so glad that he had so much love.

Zhoen said...

My condolences. He had a good, long life, and you are left, bereft. Bless you. Bless him.

Kipling said...

Michael as always a beautifully written insight into a sad moment that we must all face up too, the death of a loved one. We lost a remarkably similar cat that belonged to my son, a number of years ago, to a road accident, that my son witnessed. It is amazing that I still sometimes feel affected by this. Where as my son has got over it! But as you so aptly point out, spring must always follow winter, and may we all be warmed by it.

Karin said...

Michael, I am so sorry to hear about Fred. What a touching memorial you wrote about him. I cried my eyes out at work. He's had a long and loving life. It's been a year on the 20th since Buddy passed away and she was just about 21 so this has brought back a lot of memories. Time makes it easier....

Karin

Superfluous Brunette said...

oh our pet friends are the best, aren't they. They add so much love, joy and meaning to our lives. In fact, they teach us so much without even trying. I am sorry for your loss, but I guess you can really see it as something you gained because your cat added so much to your life and vice versa. I am sure Fred had a wonderful life thanks to you.
I have two cats myself who are aging and I know the day will come when I will have to say goodbye. Animals are so much better at goodbye...wise beings they are!!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I am typing this through tears falling down my face, how poignant, a last goodbye to a faithful companion.
My heart aches, I have experienced this pain far more times than I care to recall, losing our family pets never ready to say Goodbye.
I'm saddened at your loss, and know you will be reunited one day.
Bless....
Jo

Candice said...

Weeping as I write, this is so beautiful ~
My little cat was supposed to be in the hospita, only l over night, but they called me in the morning to tell me he had died.
My heart is still broken that I was not there, holding him when he died. He was 18 years old.
I still miss him, 9 years later.
God bless your little cat and you.
C~

Batteson.Ind said...

This is the third blog post I've read this morning that has moved me to tears, this one both from the beauty of your words and the sadness they conjured.... peace!

matron said...

So sad and yet so beautifully written,there is so much affection in your words,I too am moved to tears reading of his last moments,until eternal sleep.
God Bless.

michael.offworld said...

Thank you friends. Thank you.

Furkids in Hong Kong said...

Our condolences. Forgive us for knowing about this only now.

He is at peace and free from suffering. May time soon heal your pain.

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

i am so sorry for your loss. I still miss Charlie terribly, so i know what this feels like. All my best

Chris said...

Why is it that saying goodbye to animals is often more intense initially than when we say goodbye to people? My experience, anyway. Maybe because they love us so unconditionally and depend on us... I don't know. I cried reading this. Thank you for the photos, and I'm truly sorry. Fred was gorgeous. And 16 years? What a life!

Anonymous said...

My cat loves the outdoors, so he tends to wander off to wherever he wanders off to and I won't see him except for when he's hungry or cold or maybe just lonely. He will sit atop the picnic table in our backyard and wait for someone to let him in. To give him a pat on the head and some food in his bowl. And then he's off again, doing whatever it is that he does.

My fear is that when he goes, I will miss it. That he'll get stuck somewhere and I won't know it. And one day, I'll notice that I haven't seen him for a while. It's happened before, but he has always come back. One day, he might not.

I am so glad you could be there for your friend in those final moments. For him . . .