Thursday, April 01, 2010

Freedom in limbo


Good help ain't cheap (four year-old helps move his toys), March 2010

We've schlepped our last box and marred our last narrow hallway with an unnoticed table leg. Accumulation is easy. Moving that accumulated stuff is painful. And the 500 lb. treadmill! I burned more calories getting it out of the basement and onto the truck than I ever did running on it. It's an albatross to my unfulfilled dreams of a fat-free belly.

Today, there's a new family in our old house and an old family in our new house. We don't get possession of our new home until the middle of May and won't move in until the middle of June. That adds up to two and a half months of limbo. Theoretical homelessness. We have a place to stay (a very nice home) thanks to my kind parents, but I'm an uncomfortable guest. Something about my homesteader roots makes me twitch at the thought of dependence. I envy the naturalness of some of my Asian friends who happily live with extended family. They do it just because. I'm getting an ulcer and I only have to do it for two and a half months.

Living away from my "stuff" is harder than I thought. My parent's guest bed is supportive and warm, but it's not mine. I don't have my basement cave to hide out in any more: meditation, writing, reading, surfing the net ... all are compromised by the busy-ness and caution of living in another's home. Watching our TV shows is extremely difficult. My wife and I are used to the TIVO hard drive video recorder. We've grown accustomed, thank you very much, to watching our shows when we have time. Now we're slaves to the network schedule. Seriously, it sucks. If we want to watch something, we have to be in the living room when the show is scheduled. There's no more zipping through commercials and we can't pause the show when one of the boys comes down for the eighth time looking for a snack or a drink or someone to fix a wrinkle in the sheets. (I know, boo hoo.) The final hardship is that my parent's internet connection is slower than a movie line-up on Good Friday. I'm constantly getting up to do something while waiting for a page to load. Bye-bye photoblogs!

The TV show Lost is winding down this spring. My wife and I stressed for a moment because we missed last week's episode. "We won't know what's going on," we cried with bulging eyeballs. Then we gave each other a shake and reminded ourselves that this show is all about milking plot and selling ad space. Missing one episode is like skipping the salad in a 20-course meal: it's nice to have everything (in an OCD kind of way), but we'll still be full when the meal is done.

I'm quite hooked on this show. Turns out the characters are dead (perhaps) and are living in limbo, purgatory perhaps, where their essential evil fights with their natural good and the victor will decide where they go after the struggle. Heaven or hell I presume.

I'm particularly attracted to this theme of limbo. I can feel the flames of suffering it stokes. Not only now as I settle in for a long wait between homes, but for as long as I can remember I've felt like I don't know where I am or what I'm supposed to be doing. I've always wanted to move on to something better. I struggle, strive, romanticize my ambition, and use my brain to "understand" and learn my way to freedom. It's like I'm trying to think my way out of a maze and the more I think, the bigger the maze gets.

The thing is -- and unfortunately I'm still "thinking" here -- I've come to understand that the maze, the trap, this life, is my own creation. One way or another, I am the cause of my suffering. (We all are.) I'm writing my play with my thoughts and the actions that stem from those thoughts. I'm a one man show and the audience is me. And the kicker is, all I have to do is turn on the house lights and leave the theater. The freedom I seek is just there, but my delusions and habits are keeping me from reaching it. The show must go on.

There were a few minutes this week when I felt that elusive freedom. The packing and moving and cleaning were done. The quiet after the busy storm descended and I looked at the world with untinted vision. It was like I had packed up my SELF and was left with something, someone more basic, less complicated, somehow made lighter without all the burden of a material life. The real me under the invented me. With new eyes, I witnessed lilac-grey clouds that rolled with new thunder and smelled of a distant sea. I scanned the horizon from pole to pole and watched the springtime sun set in a calm mirror of magenta lake. And then three geese, lets call them the three jewels, flew directly over my pivoting head. They flapped in unison and I heard their wings cutting through the sky with neat flicks that reminded me of fresh sheets being snapped out over a bed. They were unencumbered by heavy thinking and moved with natural ease. They were free. And for a minute or two, so was I.

-----

6 comments:

Batteson.Ind said...

freedom is a funny word.. what is it.. this thing?
I don't own a passport, I have never traveled beyond the places I've lived (between u.k and Ireland).. I've never been to London, never been to Galway or belfast, or even Kilkenny! (oh to have money!)... but I dream and have the ability to think what, where and why I want..
My best friend is a wanderer. She has travelled the world all her life, now she has two kids who she brings with her... BUT.. she feels trapped by her wanderlust. She always wants to be moving, but can't, and when she can (summer holidays etc), she wishes she could just feel content to stay at home...Good luck with the move :-D and the temporary pause..

Notes From ABroad said...

When we moved to Argentina from the US.. we had to wait for about 5 months to see our Belongings, to sleep in our own bed, to see if Everything made the trip in one piece or even just made the trip!
I try to be very Zen-ful about Things and not needing them ... but I do. I want My Things around me.
So I totally understand how you are feeling and how it will feel.
I hope you get settled in the new place easily and fast.. Congratulations (early) on your new home :)
chau,

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

i keep thinking that when my house is finally in good enough state to sell i may have to move to rented just to avoid getting stuck in a chain - but i already feel that all my things are in boxes. It would be nice to stretch out and just feel homely and i hope that you feel that way soon

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Michael. Use this time to continue your journey, even if upon a slightly hampered pathway.

I've never been into the show Lost. By the time I felt a desire to watch it, so much had flowed under the bridge. Once it wraps, I see myself acquiring the DVDs and spending more than a few days immersing myself.

Good to read you again, my friend. It's been way too long . . .

michael.offworld said...

Watercat, I'm much like you. It's a wise person who learns to love his or her life just as it is. I'm not so wise, but I'm working on it.

Notes, Yes, you understand. Thanks.

Pixie, That theme again, feeling at home where ever we find ourselves...

Brian, Great to see you again pal.

Chris said...

I hope by now you can see the finish line, if you're not already there.

Life's been busy, but I've been keeping half an eye on my Reader. Catching up...