I stepped past the overgrown caragana, seed pods long-popped, tiny caragana planets scattered to the universe. I felt a sudden rush. Palpable. It was like stepping into a warm house on a -30 winter day and smelling fresh-baked apple pie. It was the feeling of gratitude I had accepting applause for a public speaking class I taught a few years ago. It was coming home to the jumping embrace of my two boys on the first day of my new job. It was sitting on a mountain trail bench, side-by-side with my dear wife, holding her hand and gazing across an endless valley, counting the white goats hopping around on the far, far side.
That's what it was like. What it was: a simple lunch hour stroll through the small town of Two Hills, enjoying one of the last warm days of summer. Nothing fancy, but oh so profound! (I'm sure I'll have more to say about Two Hills in future posts.)
--
I took that energy home to Lohwinkel and extended my day at a friend's community hall presentation on The Law of Attraction. She talked about how we attract whatever we get in life (good and bad) by what we think.
My take on it is that indeed, there is great power in thought, it drives our actions, and leads us by the nose. We naively define ourselves by what we think, as if we were describing a new landscape by talking about the clouds over our heads.
Good things happen when we notice this. The first step is recognizing that we are thinking.
Take a step outside your self, turn back, and observe yourself thinking. Think about thinking, then step away from it's embrace. See what happens then!
--
This day was my reward for taking a risk and starting a new job. Now I know I made the right decision.
-----
5 comments:
OK - comments on both postings: firstly, fantastic photos - i particularly enjoyed shot 1 (gree tree agaist B&w) and the lat two shots (photographer's shadow and the person wading in the water)
Secondly - a lovely piece of writing and very descriptive. I know that feeling well - its the feeling you get when you cycle up a difficult hill and get to the top and see a panoramic view. Great
Wonderful advice. I am going to work on that.
oh yes, you made the right decision - only if because you see the world differently. even if you leave your job in six months - you still made the right decision...
lovely thoughts!
I'm thinking- but how does one think about thinking? I already think too much and leave too little to impulse.
Unless shoes are involved.
Captian, I'm thinking about shoes too! Some Rockports for squeaking down the hospital corridors.
How do you think about thinking? Just notice when you are. I woke up thinking about how my throat still hurt and how it would be nice to take a couple days off to really get over this cold. That's thinking about what I thought, but you get the idea.
It's helpful when you can catch yourself thinking unhelpful thoughts and then slowly let them go. The process never stops I'm told.
M
Post a Comment