Listened to an interesting podcast about fear by Gil Fronsdal, a Zen priest in California. What an amazingly timely gift of teaching! He asks this question: instead of looking at what you are afraid of, perhaps it's wiser to ask what it is about you that is being threatened. What are you afraid of losing? In the Buddhist practice, he says that when we experience fear there is something either in the world or inside ourselves that needs looking at. Is there a bus screeching towards you as you cross the street? Get out of the way. Survive. Is there a concept about yourself, a belief about who you are, that is being threatened? Maybe that needs to be looked at. For example, do you see yourself as easy-going and calm, but cramp up in bowel-wrenching agony when you have to step on a stage and give a speech? Maybe that concept of always being calm and collected needs to be looked at more closely?
So, I'm looking, but it isn't easy. It's kind of like I've been flown blind-folded to the other side of the world and left there to find my way home. On the surface nothing is recognizable.
What follows are some interior photos of last week's house. I've never been there before, yet it feels like home. And when I was there, I was afraid.

Kitchen and cellar door, May 2009

Old couch, stairs, closet, May 2009

Room with a box, May 2009

The box, mysterious contents released, May 2009
Significantly (I just had a shiver down my spine), Waltham was a maker of watches from 1850 to 1957. Perhaps this empty box is a message about the passage of time?
--
Had a visit with Inez this week. Her husband, Gunnar passed away recently after a short battle with ALS. We were chatting in her kitchen. I asked her about the giant, flowering tree that I could see through the window over her empty sink. I think it's an ornamental apple. Delicate pink blossoms, too numerous to even estimate a number. Food for a million bees. She told me about the time many years ago Gunnar brought it home; not much more than a stick with a few leaves on it. He used to travel with his job and to keep busy at night, he would ride his bicycle around whatever town he was in. One night he stopped to admire a tree, just like the one that would grow in his back yard. The owner was in her garden and told him to take a branch home and plant it. It would grow, she said. So he did and it did.
Just now, as I was writing this post, I was interrupted by a neighbor from up the street. She had a pot full of iris bulbs that she just split from a massive iris in her yard. She asked me if I could use them.
I accepted the gift of those irises with gratitude and I bow deeply in thanks for all the gifts that the universe throws in my path on a daily basis.
Below is another gift from Jill Bolte Taylor via TED talks via Rev. Mugo at Jade Mountains. She is a neuro-scientist who had the gift of having (and surviving) a stroke. Her message is uplifting and left me feeling joy. All of this, the timing, the message, is significant.
11 comments:
Timely post, Michael.
Lately, I've been avoiding the bill collectors; the money just isn't there, and talking to them isn't something I want to do, for I'd have to admit that things are out of control right now. What is it that I fear? Having to admit that I've messed things up to a point where repairing it all seems overwhelming and damn near impossible. To do all that, I'd have to admit some harsh things . . .
I need to find a way to connect with that left, inner peace circuitry.
What an amazing lecture!
Brian, we've all got our own beliefs/habits to work with. Sometimes we can see the problem. Sometimes we can't. Seeing it is great. Except it can be painful. If you don't mind California, new agey kind of stuff, you might like to read Louise Hay's, You Can Heal Your Life.
Jill Bolte Taylor -- I know! So amazing. She has a book that I might have to order. My suggestion for getting into the right brain zone: meditation. Doesn't matter how. It's just all good. Helps to practice with a teacher or someone more experienced though. It's good to have someone to talk to about what happens when you meditate.
I get a right brain buzz when I'm looking through a camera. Used to get when I was painting. Also get it when I'm writing, but that seems more of a whole brain activity.
So how did you get into the house: is it just empty and open?
I always find it ironic that there's a big thing here about building new homes to ensure that there's enough for everyone: and yet so many houses are sitting empty: either as second holiday homes or just abandoned.
DFTP: Yep it was open. Probably hasn't seen any residents except pigeons for a good 30 years (just guessing). I presume the last residents got old, left, and the children didn't want to move it.
I would love to discover the story.
I'm looking forward to the day that I have enough money to have a second house just because!
Love the box picture. Wish I knew what was in it. That's a story.
I love the pictures, the light is amazing. I keep asking myself the question "what would you do if you were not afraid?" I have not got a satisfactory answer yet. I saw the Jill Bolte Taylor lecture too - amazing. I would like to try meditation myself and shut the chattering monkey up for a bit. Great post.
Captain, curiosity is the fuel of art.
Argent, I think it takes more than meditation to quiet that monkey (although sitting is about the only way I can think of, besides 15 year-old scotch). I hope it's OK to at least recognize the noise for what it is.
Your photographs are wonderful, but I felt fear looking at them as well.
I'm tired.
Chris, sometimes I think fatigue is a resistance, a way we have to protect ourselves from something uncomfortable. And sometimes we're just tired!
Wow, the light in that place is magic.
I'm looking forward to listening to the Gil Fronsdal podcasts.
Post a Comment