We took the long way home through Clive, the village where Grandma lived after her husband died in the 1960s (a few years before I was born). I can hear her voice now, as if she were watching us pull up to her grave on our motorcycles; her arthritic voice creaked and was squeezed up in pitch.
"Ooooh Jack! Are you riding a MOOOOTORCYCLE? Oh, Jack, you'll killllll yourself. Your just like those bikers who race by with no mufflers. Oh, Jaaaaack!"
Poor Grandma, she worried a lot.
Once in the village, we idled past by her old house which is directly across from her second home, the community Baptist church. The parking lot was full. Church was about to be let out for the day. We drove through the witness gate of her house and the church and aimed our bikes for lunch at the local watering hole, which we didn't know was there. It's a bit of a biker bar, but tame and slow on a Sunday afternoon. I don't think Grandma would have approved of a bar opening up a few blocks from her home, but at least we only drank iced tea.
Cheers Grandma B!

A trip to see the dead, June 2009

None is more real, June 2009

Stories about skunks and police, June 2009

My sweet Wee-Strom, June 2009

Grandma is rolling over about now, June 2009
------
8 comments:
I love that you and your dad went riding together. Great shots. I especially love the one of the two of you together.
Rooster's Roadhouse looks like the kind of place my father-in-law would enjoy visiting. I bet they serve a mean cup of coffee. I wonder, is there fried mush on the menu?
Great pictures, Michael!
I bet Rooster's had a decent burger, too. I'm sure your grandma appreciated the visit.
Loved the pics and trip. My dad loved motorbikes too, and rode till he physically could no more.
Seeing your father reminds me a lot of my own.
Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
A very beautiful place.
My friend is trying to persuade me we should go on an epic motorbike ride next year - which is odd because neither of us can ride one right now! I prefer cycling...but i loved this story and enjoyed sharing your memories
Thanks
Hi, found your blog along the way and find your sharing of moments quite beautiful. Looks like you had a ball with your dad, time spent with our kin are special times indeed, cheers!
Wonderful pics! Your father looks neat.
"We drove through the witness gate of her house and the church and aimed our bikes for lunch at the local watering hole..."
I love the picture that paints.
Glad you had a nice day with your dad, and happy father's day to you today. :-)
Emma, we are just a couple bikers!
Brian, Fried mush? You will have to enlighten me. I did have a mushroom burger.
Captain, mmmm, burrrgerrr.
Pete, how about you, did you get the two-wheel bug? I'm hatching an idea to do a motorcycle tour of China. Someday.
DFTP, anything on two-wheels is awesome. It is fun to go fast on either.
Hi Watercats. Cheers to you also!
Chris, Thanks for noticing that sentence. Awesome.
Post a Comment