Saturday, December 19, 2009

Glowing in the darkness (for Ginny)


Prairie faith, December 2009

Christmas is a cruel season. So much darkness arises for me. The lack of light; the emptiness of mandatory gift-giving; my present-greedy children; the once-a-year excuse/expectation to be nice to strangers; the "now-what" letdown of January; and the what's wrong with me questions when I just don't feel it.

I still haven't figured out what to do with this holiday hoo-haw, except to go along with it. I am making progress though. I'm starting to see how my own thoughts and actions cause what I feel.

These things make me feel better:
- meditation
- yoga
- lots of sleep
- Johnnie To movies (like this one)
- spending less money
- time with my family
- Ginny's blog (despite her dark wit, she is full of good stuff)
- when I help a client communicate better
- Christmas lights

My measure of success: when Christmas is a celebration of the compassion and joy I feel all year long. Nothing special, yet everything special.

-----

4 comments:

Ginny said...

You know I struggle mightily with this time of year, as well. That picture was exactly what I needed - on a couple of levels. I am grateful that I met you, grateful to still have you around.

Merry Christmas, friend.

Chris said...

Love the photo. Ginny's blog is like a little present. I just poked around over there. Thanks!

I don't mean to sound sexist, but imagine how it feels being a woman during the holidays. My husband is a great partner, but no matter how we divide the "to do" list, I ultimately feel completely responsible for everyone's holiday experience. It's exhausting... and nice... and stressful... and joyful... all in a manic-depressive pattern.

Truly hope you have a beautiful holiday.

PurestGreen said...

I fight back by cooking, focusing on the foods that are in season and enjoying them as often as possible. kale, parsnips, turnips...good stuff.

Thanks for the link to ginny's blog - I really love it.

michael.offworld said...

And to you Ginny.

Chris, I wish you calm after the storm! (and maybe during)

Sophia,I love all those things. Today I will fast and find my stretchy pants because tonight my family and I will feast and celebrate the return of the light.