Sunday, September 05, 2010

Light and gold

I've always been moved by choral music. Shivers erupt from a spot at the base of my cervical vertebrae and travel up and down my spine as if I was being strummed by the benevolent hand of the eternal. That we can come together as people and produce an art that cannot exist in isolation makes me glad to be alive.

Buddhists refer to the three poisons which form the basis of all our suffering. They are anger, greed, and ignorance. When thoroughly poisoned, we are driven away from each other into separate worlds that might as well be light years apart. The opposite is also true: compassion, generosity, and wisdom draw us out of our isolation and into each other's arms (figuratively and sometimes literally). There is peace here and the space between us disappears.

I'm feeling like I'm ready to come back to this blog. My energy is returning and it's time to reconnect. I'll see how it goes.

--

What follows is a video of Eric Whitacre's virtual choir. His art shows us that we don't have to be together to feel the warmth (and light) of communion.




-----

6 comments:

PurestGreen said...

Blogging breaks are often a very good thing. it is so easy to get swept into a sense of "I should really post something" and end up writing in a half-hearted way. I am back from a break as well, trying to re-dedicate myself to slow pleasures. Beautiful song -thank you for the link.

Batteson.Ind said...

my god! That video is just phenominal, I'm sat here in a lyer of goosebumps.. The power of human beauty when we decide to come together is immense.
Good to see you back :-D.. ooh, and cheers for following my new blog ;-)

Batteson.Ind said...

*layer of goosebumps

matron said...

The Choir is amazing,I have always loved spiritual music and there was something very special about this.I played it several times,it had a very calming effect on me,is there a CD of this music ?? I would like to get it if there is.
Welcome back and I look forward to your posts,but do not feel guilty for having a break,we are not under pressure to post every day or even every week--Just when we want to is good enough for me.

michael.offworld said...

Green: glad to share

Watercat: not problem, it looks like an awesome project.

Matron: I looked a little, but didn't find anything. Did find a pile of nice recordings on iTunes. "Cloudburst" the the UK choir Polyphony is very nice to listen too. If you find something different, let me know!

Argent said...

Glad you're back, Michael. I really enjoyed the virtual choir. There is something very primal about a whole lot of people acting as one, I guess there must be a deep, ancient place in our brains that causes us to respond to it with goosebumps the way we do.