
Cave-boy contemplates his evolution, August 2010
Most of us are hard-wired not to change. To desire personal growth is to admit weakness."I could do with a bit of improving, maybe I'll read a self-help book." To admit a weakness goes against natural selection:
- He's not showing much confidence; must be something wrong with him. I think I'll pick that other guy, his teeth are whiter and his mating dance is way more Travolta.
- Or that girl seems weak. Those boots are so 2008. Let's ditch her, she's just going to slow us down and bum us out (do people still say, "bummed out?").
Wouldn't it be nice to check out for a few months? Wander the wilderness alone until the answers come? I supposed that's why I meditate. 40 days and 40 nights 15 minutes at a time.
Meanwhile life goes on! I've got snow to shovel, supper to cook, and boys to pay attention to. I think my lovely wife is around here somewhere too.
-----
5 comments:
I hate wearing pants too. But I do. And I also evolve. But slowly. Very. Very. Slowly. And then I regress. And then I begin again.
(You're not alone in this struggle.)
Great post title and I love the photo.
I can't imagine that every single human being doesn't relate to your words. And yes, it would be nice to check out for a few months. I'd even take a few days... just to be alone in "it".
DBS: it's the mud that make the going so slow.
Chris: it's the children that screw it up for us. (smile)
I got stuck mulling on this one; cogs turning, but not catching. I guess the thing is that this thinking is quite foreign to me. Constant self-improvement sustains me. I need to know I'm doing better now than I was three months ago and I don't use the word, 'need' lightly. My mental health depends on it. I embrace it, but I also always recognize that any improvement will be a case of 10 steps forward; 9 steps back. I wonder if gender plays a role?
Tinsenpup, I honestly don't know about the gender question. I believe women are more practical than men. That's as far as I'm willing to go. I'm finding this paradox of self-improvement vs. self-acceptance to be a real doozy of a puzzle.
Post a Comment