![]() |
| Go back to the beginning you will. |
As I aged, I felt the need for something more in
my life. Work, pay bills, eat, sleep, weren’t enough for me. Perhaps my early
church years primed me for metaphysical thinking or maybe I’m just wired this way.
I started reading about Buddhism in the 80’s, but didn’t understand it. I
attended a Buddhist gathering once, but the way they honoured the image of
Buddha turned me off (scarring from my Pentacostal brain-washing days). Not
much happened after that, but spiritual seeds had been planted. I felt like something wasn’t right and that maybe I didn’t have to feel helpless to the whims of fate
and my family's predisposition to depression and anxiety disorder.
Eight years ago, I gave Buddhism another try. I had been reading
more books and I appreciated how they believe that we are responsible
for our own suffering and that we have all that we need inside us to be happy.
It’s just a matter of shifting perception and making different choices about
how we live our lives. I found a Buddhist group. I found a teacher. And I came to
appreciate the idea of ritual and religious community again. I was old enough to understand the teaching too.
It all ended when I moved to the middle of nowhere. Not many Buddhists or vegetarians out here. I like where I live, but attending a Buddhist
meditation session means a two-hour drive to the big city. Too much for me and it takes me away from a community I feel comfortable in. That and I wanted to introduce my kids to the idea of religious life.
Then here (in the middle of nowhere), I met some terrific
people. Church-goers, but not pushy and genuinely easy to be
around. Smart, friendly, raising children like my dear wife and I, and going through the same midlife experiences.
Today we gave Sunday church service a try. Same nice people. Easy-going service
shy on ornate rituals and rich in music. And the sermon was ... OK. I learned something. The
teaching was about sacrifice, hard-core and dark: Abraham was
prepared to slit his own son’s throat to prove his faith to God (I guess there
weren’t any sheep around) and at the last second his hand was
stayed and God gave him a ram to kill instead. Sheesh. That’s a high price to pay for faith.
Even killing a poor sheep is over the top.
How do you get a lesson for modern life from that?! Simple
really. You convert the metaphorical music from this death-metal old testament composition to a modern
pop ballad and you talk about the sacrifice we need to practice a religion (to practice anything).
Buddhism is all about giving up your self so that you can live life free from
suffering. Christians talk about being born again. It’s the same thing. I do prefer the quiet, private nature of Zen practice as opposed to the do everything in front of everyone practices you find in a Christian church (e.g., passing around the offering bowl so everyone can see how much you give).
For me, it means if I really want something (something
worthwhile like inner peace), I need to give up my old ways of doing things. They don't work! It will take some sacrifice. I want to meditate more often. I
know that it will give me insight into my habits and delusions, but
damned if I can find the time to sit. It seems, I would much rather sleep an extra 30
minutes on a cold winter morning than get up and sit on my cushion. Can I give up the comfort of my bed, let go of some of my well-worn
ideas and develop a regular meditation practice. I would never harm a hair on
my son’s head, but maybe I could give up some of my night-time habits so that I
could go to bed earlier and then get up early to meditate.
And I can go to church on Sunday morning. I never thought I would ever say
that, but it's just down the street, the people are great, and the message is the same.
I'll be a Buddhist in a Christian church who is working towards living a better
life in the best way he can.
-----

4 comments:
I like this. A lot. (I bet it still won't get me back to church though.)
interesting use of image - which reminded me that the two wisest things i've ever heard are both in The Trilogy - Yoda's "There is no try, there is only do or do not do" and Obi-Wan's "You're going to learn that most of the truths we cling to depend largely on your own point of view"
The latter one I always try to remember if i find i'm being judgemental
As to a Buddhist in a Christian church - i think faith is where you find it
Yoda is so Buddhist. (I have a mini version of this picture in my office).
I have read many many books (shall I recommend some to you?) on the strange intersect between buddhism and christianity. Thomas Merton. One of my favorite christians who is so very buddhist. As a Cradle Catholic, I wondered why I was so drawn to Buddhism, and at times found them so contradictory. There are lots of similarities ... and as you know, Buddha himself would not approve of supporting Buddhism at the expense of all other learning. (what is the saying, if you meet Buddha on the road, kill him?) ... you have found your sangha ... and so it is the next step. You practice buddhism in the community you are in. This is life and reality and it's beautiful!!
>I have read many many books (shall I recommend
>some to you?) on the strange intersect between
>buddhism and christianity.
Yes please! And thank you for this encouraging comment.
Post a Comment