Wednesday, December 30, 2009

For those who are trying


A stop along the way, December 2009

I've been trying very hard this past year to build a mountain with a teaspoon. So many goals, it's pathetic really. Some have stalled, many have failed miserably, and some have caused great harm to those around me. (A few have quietly moved ahead, but are so obscured by the noise and dust of my efforts that I've lost sight of them.)

This is the time of year for re-visiting lists and updating goals of self-improvement. My one goal is to understand why I have so much on my list. Aren't I good enough just the way I am? Isn't my life perfect just the way it is? My brain says yes, but my heart doesn't agree. Or is it the other way around?!
"...it's usually better not to set out on journeys like this with too many plans and expectations. Or even much hope. Do not forget your goal, but let the way to it find you ..."

- Thomas Wharton, from his novel The Shadow of Malabron
-----

3 comments:

Chris said...

I think we spend too much time in our heads. At least, I do. I like pondering things, getting lost in thoughts, dreams, goals, but our brains are so powerful. It's important to rein it in when necessary.

I have good feelings about 2010. I hope you do too.

Unknown said...

Hey, great quote! Sounds like a good book :)

michael.offworld said...

Chris: I'm not sure. Feeling uncertain right now.

Thomas: Fantastic book! Reading it to my boys and we're all enjoying it.