Sunday, December 05, 2010

The last drive in

My wife and I started our early dating life in the drive-in. I would pick her up from her hair salon job on Saturday night and we'd head right over to the drive-in. Summer long weekends were the best. Triple feature. Corn dogs. Pickle on a stick. Corn on the cob dripping in butter. And onoin rings. That was 20 years ago and drive-ins are long gone from our home city. Thankfully, change happens a little more slowly in Saskatchewan. There are two drive-in theatres that I know of. The Jubilee at Manitou Beach and this one, the Sundown, in Saskatoon.

The Sundown has a big FOR SALE out front. It is run by a couple that should be retired by now, but they must truly love their business. Or they can't afford to quit. A few people still come out and even though the place hasn't seen any cosmetic maintenance for 20 years, the projectors still run and the screen is more or less white. It works.


Still working, August 2010


Better not touch that, August 2010


When you live where you work, August 2010


Update? Nah..., August 2010


Just ghosts now, August 2010


Blue bulb spider webs, August 2010


-----

3 comments:

DB Stewart said...

It's still there! Very cool. I remember it very fondly.

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

the drive in is very much an american thing - impossible to imagine here where cinemas were always in old theatres.

Even those are gone now with the era of the multiplex - though a few small ones still exist in wales and the lake district

I still think that the building should be part of the experience - like the whole thing is one big event

michael.offworld said...

DBS: worth the drive

Pixie: We have those too. I've seen hundreds of movies, but the ones I remember most are the ones I've seen in the old character cinemas. Biodome in Waterton. Leap of Faith in San Francisco. I should try to see a good movie in a cool cinema one day!