Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Facebook: blessing in disguise?

Written in response to Roxanne's blog post: To Facebook or Not To Facebook …

Facebook is especially deadly now that I access it on my iPhone. Waiting for pancakes to brown? Out comes the phone. Commercials? Warming up the car? Waiting for my dentist? Lets see what’s new with my friends. The result for me is less time to stop and just be. I never need to do nothing ever again.

I’ve tried taking Facebook off my phone and I can last a week or two before I re-install it. Easier has been unliking all the George Takei type sites and then filtering the people who post Facebook-game crap (that means blocking my mother). All this helps cut down on the quantity I look at.

Is this what a smoker feels like? Facebook is there when my alarm goes off, then again before I sleep. I don't like that.
 
My current thinking is that this struggle we are sharing points to a type of loneliness. Facebook makes me feel like I belong to something. Community? The question is can I address this “need” so that Facebook loses its allure. I can live without what I read there so it’s not really a question of content. It’s the delusion of feeling disconnected that I would like to address. Perhaps we are not suffering from lack of contact with others, but instead from a gap in our connection with ourselves? Self-alienation.

I don’t know what the answer is. Cold turkey? Probably not. Heal myself instead? Maybe. At least Facebook has helped me see this inner work that needs attention. I feel some urgency also as my kids approach an age where they can do what I do on the computer. Gulp.

-----

2 comments:

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

i don't really use my phone for the internet - i find the small screen too fiddly, so i only look at FB when my computer is on

Society has changed - we no longer go to Working Men's Clubs, many of us work from home and we communicate less with our neighbors - growing up i knew the neighbors on both sides of my parent's house, but i barely know the names of the people next door to where i live now, but i think we still need that sense of community

The internet has changed the way we interact forever - much more of our communication is in cyberspace and its not necessarily a bad thing as long as we keep looking back to the real world

Look at it another way - the blogs that i read have inspired me and allowed me to communicate with people who inspire me and have interesting things to say, people that i would otherwise never have met - people like yourself

michael.offworld said...

Yes, let's not reject the good things about the net. But maybe there's more to gain from real life, face to face interactions?