Sunday, September 13, 2009

Five Remembrances


I cannot escape becoming ill, September 2009


I cannot escape growing old, September 2009


I cannot escape death, September 2009


I must parted from all that is dear and beloved to me, September 2009


I cannot escape the consequences of my actions, September 2009

These are the five remembrances. Depressing? I don't think so. We have choice. We can decide what we do with this knowledge (that we all share). Do we avoid it? Do we reject it? Do we embrace it?

-----

6 comments:

PurestGreen said...

These are perfect portraits. There is something soothing in them. The shell of the dragonfly is especially moving.

Anonymous said...

Interesting . . .

For my Religions of the East class, I've been reading the "Bhagavad Gita," and there is much in there about how those who are mature in the Self (note: big S) rise above "the fruits of action" and learn simply to act, or not act. Since you know much more about these sorts of things, I'd like your thoughts on this, in light of the fifth remembrance . . .

Chris said...

We do have the gift of choice. Beautiful photos. Not depressing.

Roxanne said...

are the rememberances from some studying you are doing in your practice? I am curious. I have such an interesting story for you about meditating ... I liked your last piece on meditating - I will share it soon with you ... but I found, just when I thought I had found the "ticket" to my practice - ah - it slipped between my fingers and i start again. but at least i start :)

Don't Feed The Pixies said...

I think there's also an element of hope in the last picture - with the water bubble still full of potential.

Thought provoking as always

michael.offworld said...

Purestgreen: Soothing is good. I think it's the teaching more than my photos though...

Brian: I think you've got a pretty good grip on it. I am far from being a Buddhist scholar. I just think it's the ultimate self-help program that is actually helping me feel less encumbered by my habits. It's interesting how a Hindu book has similar ideas (the same ideas) as the teachings of the Buddha. Must be some truth there. What it all comes down to is that I'm responsible for my life. I'm in charge. I can choose not to reflect and let my habits control me (actions, thoughts, emotions) or I can work on them and decide whether they will help me live a better life. Find some peace.

The whole idea of choice isn't so easy. Our habits are so ingrained that they are unconscious. Invisible to our eyes. Especially the unhelpful ones. It takes guidance, reflection, perseverance to even become aware of them. THEN the real work of weeding them out begins. I suspect it's the process of a lifetime.

I'm finding my practice particularly useful now as I delve into my unhealthy emotions and unravel their causes. Very uncomfortable at times and often I wish I could walk up the street to take refuge with someone who is further down the path than I.

Chris: I knew you would get it.

Roxanne: Yes to your first question. I'm studying the five hindrances and the five remembrances were part of one of those talks. My practice is the Zen type. I'll send you a more detailed response by email.

DFTP: I like what you see in that photo. So appropriate to the teachings.